PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Long Line hits Power Cable and causes Fireball in Hong Kong
Old 4th Jan 2011, 08:23
Chi Sin Gei Si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigSkyHeli,

That's all fair enough. You know the operation and risks far better than me.

Snagging the powerline is possibly an error...possibly only the pilot's. The injury and it getting to the newspapers and radio, and even this forum, might or might not have been the pilot's error, depending on factors unknown to us.

It never ceases to amaze me the speculation and presumptions that are posted after every incident. In this thread it was the suggestion of the current politics in the company as being cause of possible decline in standards which led to this incident!

Yet, there is absolutely no evidence posted thus far on that matter which link the two...I guess that's why its called a 'rumour network'.

My example was not the best, but it was meant to be a wild card; a 'what if it actually had nothing to do with the politics and standards but simply was one of those things? Or even a 'non-newsworthy' incident made worse by factors totally beyond the control of the pilot and operator? Say, a careless ground crew.

Why am I interested? I know many of the drivers in the area. Every helicopter incident in HK, inevitably becomes unproportionally big news in a small town, and only damages the industry's freedom as CAD regulate tighter, and ultimately makes it harder for mates and colleagues to earn a crust...or in the case of HKAC, enjoy themselves. (That's why I cringe when I see the R22s hotdogging around Sai Kung - - but that's another topic!

Having to explain to friends why there is a helicopter in the habour, a bus, a resevoir today doesn't help support promotion of our proffession or passion, whether it be utility, passengers, tours or free flight. And they're lucky...they have me to give them as straight a story as I can. Joe Public only can rely on the media, who in turn seem to rely on guess work and forums like this for their news.

Discussion like we've just seen here (and in GFS thread) does nothing to help, especially with lack of evidence as to the cause.

That's me done on this! HNY.

Last edited by Chi Sin Gei Si; 4th Jan 2011 at 09:10.