PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Long Line hits Power Cable and causes Fireball in Hong Kong
Old 4th Jan 2011, 07:53
bigskyheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chin sin gei si

I agree with you that the long lining role is complicated and that it is impossible to mitigtate out all of the possible hazards completely. The HS ground crews work hard to keep the clients ground crew on the safe side of the op. When HS works on the power lines the work is spread out over long distances and the HS ground crew is not at the drop off sites but only at the pick up staging area. The customer ground crew is at the drop off site usually located very close to the tower in order to receive and hook up the loads. The crew wouldn't be relaxing against the pole eating their lunch. Wrapping the long line around the transmission line would likely have nothing to do with the ground crew but unfortunately most likely pilot error. This type of work is very challenging and can be unforgiving. I know as I have also made mistakes performing this type of work and have flown away knowing that it was a close call. I am sure the company and the CAD will investigate and make changes where needed. My concerns have already been expressed regarding the exodus of experienced employees over a short period of time and I would hope the company looks at this seriously as well when determining what needs to be done to make the company as safe as it can be doing the dangerous type of work they undertake. I most likely worked with the crew that were injured and wish them all the best in their recovery.

Last edited by bigskyheli; 4th Jan 2011 at 13:22.