PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett and the Fokker Friendship
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2011, 06:40
Delta_Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-TQQ accident at Amberley

Does anybody have the background to the landing accident involving VH-TQQ at RAAF Amberley about June 1982?
I was in the jump seat of a Chinook at the holding point for RWY 15 when TQQ appeared on short finals, flapless, with a reasonably high rate of descent. A big thump later, and a left main wheel bounced back over the horizontal stab and aircraft started veering left.
That wouldn't have been so bad except the left MLG hit the arrestor barrier drum off the side of the runway, neatly collapsing the gear leg and removing the left prop. TQQ then slid on the right MLG, NLG and left wingtip in a graceful arc and came to a halt just past the F111 engine test facility on the eastern side of RWY 15. Timing is everything as about ten minutes earlier, an F111 under tow had been waiting to cross back to the tarmac area and TQQ went through about where it had been waiting.
TQQ's remaining servicable prop wound down and several figures jumped out and decamped. Our aircraft captain (Welsh RAF exchange officer and terribly nice bloke) called Amberley Ground with words to the effect "confirm you've seen the aircraft crash on the runway?" - shortly after the crash alarm sounded. And then we went for a fly.
Next day, I had an interview with an investigator as it appeared that I was the only eye-witness as both the drivers had their heads inside doing engine checks. There was a rumour that two (or more) check-type people were involved. Poor old TQQ was removed by a low-loader several days later.
I'd really like to know what went on in the front seats...

DF