PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Long Line hits Power Cable and causes Fireball in Hong Kong
Old 4th Jan 2011, 06:23
Chi Sin Gei Si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does a "single powerless ground crew" have to do with the two incidents of pilots wrapping their long lines around power lines in the last two months?
Bigskyheli,

Not a lot from the 'pilotiing' point of view. The two incidents are serious from a flight operations point of view and hopefully will be properly investigated.

My point is from an overall operational point of view where some risks the pilot's take as part of their daily lives just can't be mitigated for various reasons.

The point is more that in the business there are known risks. We mitigate those by putting in place safety measures. If everyone involved is not totally on board with those safety measures ...

...as in the case of say a lone ground crewman who decides to eat his chow fan (rice) leaning against the telegraph pole for a bit of shade, (which is live and right under the departure path of the helicopter which is working) - despite being told in the safety briefing to stay clear from that area and by the company staff member)...

....then the fault for the incident is not soley the pilot's. No?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we just don't have enough facts to jump right in an slate the pilots or even the operation. They are just one part of a complicated 'swiss cheese' right?