PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2011, 02:03
bearfoil

I do have access to the answers, as do others. The problem of the splines was identified in test. The characteristics of the vibration that caused this particular event were identified in test. It is a tramp, a harmonic, and not an insignificant one. The LP Shaft impinges through vibration on the IP Shaft. Chronic oil loss was ignored in test. All this plus an oil fire in test was documented. Shaft relationships were identified as troublesome due to proximity and vibration of two of the three shafts relative to the third. There was no "Oh my goodness, what a surprise". This engine was fielded too quickly, and without the customary care and sticklers for Proof that is ordinarily so much a part of RR. This includes all the 9's, not just the 72. I am just about through with this thread, it has been a laborious march, and the answers are dangling on the stage. I am no prophet, but as I have said before, this story has very long legs, and it is far from over. This entire event has no chance of containment, just like the IP Wheel. It has barely begun. It is entering the world of Industrial intrigue, politics and corporate survival, IMO.

Last edited by bearfoil; 4th Jan 2011 at 02:25.