PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Long Line hits Power Cable and causes Fireball in Hong Kong
Old 4th Jan 2011, 00:55
Chi Sin Gei Si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no dog in this fight but am curious as to how much experience this company has in the powerline construction business. Where do their pilots come from?
No dog? Strange question then. Google shall giveth... Heliservices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Heliservices (HK) Ltd. Over 30 years of Aviation Excellence.

Given that they have essentially connected all of HK to the grid over the last 25 years, the company CV is OK. Pilots from all over the world, and some of the best lifting pilots I've seen.

I know some guys from there, and of course they're up against the usual pressures of commercial work.

Interestingly, I know the ground crews are contracted (the client's people, not the company's). They are given a short course on safety and procedures before the job and then let loose, with a single (powerless) company staff overseeing. This sometimes has caused problems since the ground crews then don't fully appreciate the risks, and do things like standing right under the approach or departure path or similar faux pas which we would all take as basic 101 stuff.

It's true, there has been some significant movemement recently, both upstairs and on the shop floor.

That's not speculation at all, just an observation that sometimes, things might not be how they seem without the facts....

Let's wait and see...

(Still 2 incidents in as many weeks...that's not good press for the HK helo industry which is in fact pretty well (and tightly) regulated. Coincidence I think, rather than incompetence. Tell that to the press though...)

Last edited by Chi Sin Gei Si; 4th Jan 2011 at 01:42.