PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferranti Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 21:19
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Savoia. Having just tuned in after a week or so, I haven't responded to an earlier item.

Eric, I'll e-mail a copy of the relevent page of "Appointment on Lake michigan" where I write about 'pilots in white gloves' and an executive heli operation - which you might like to see.

Reference the Biggin Hill B206 accident ... that year I was parked in the Enstrom G-BENO 'rotors running' on the grass adjacent to the 03 threshold (in those days) waiting for the ATC call to display. The Ferranti Jetranger lifted off fifty yards ahead of me and climbed into the underside of a short final Tiger Moth removing both wheels from the Moth. Sadly the M/R head detached and the Jetranger crashed ten yards from the crowd line with the loss of all on board although there were no spectator fatals. The Tiger Moth completed a sucessful 'no wheels' landing without injury.

The pic of G-AWJW was taken parked on the Spooner Aviation parking area at Shoreham. The landing gear 'cuff' was missing because I removed it due to cracking of the GRP. The marking forward of the registration was the temporary logo of Southernair.

The adjacent Enstrom G-BHAX ... was the first F28 'Dash Two' model in Europe. It was owned by Derek Chandler of Flair Soft Drinks ... later Flair Air at Goodwood. Derek's son Wayne became MD of the Southernair business.

Next heli was Enstrom 280C G-PALS, which I sold to Property Associates Limited and subsequently displayed at the 1981 Biggin Hill event. It was also flown in "To the Manor Born" TV series by that super blonde lady Gay Absolom.

Looking at the pics of Ferranti pilots meeting the Pope, I feel sure the third pic is of Bob Baff, but I wasn't aware that he was ever associated with Ferranti' Since Bob and I were both ex Meteor pilots, we spent many an hour at Fairoaks chatting about the old times.

Happy and safe flying to all in 2011. Dennis Kenyon.