PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 21:11
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bearfoil - Annex14 - firstfloor
where's old engineer and Turbine D when they are well and truly needed.
Humm, Thinking!

It would appears that we are back to the proposition: A leads to B, B leads to C and C leads to D, C = fire, D = BANG! The questions are: What are A & B, Is there A & B or just B or is it even more complex A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.

The visit of the Airbus CEO to Southeast Asia no doubt was prompted to see first hand and be briefed on the damaged aircraft in Singapore. He then probably went on to Sydney to meet with Qantas leadership to further discuss the matter as a good aircraft supplier would do with a good customer. Now if his interview only took place a week after the event, there wasn't enough time to state with certainty the actual cause of the failure, but maybe only generalities or suspicions, perhaps from technical difficulties plus modifications being made with Trent 900 engines, i.e., SIA and Lufthansa and ongoing mods at Airbus.

Here is the timeline of events as reported by the ATSB:
11/4 The "event" takes place
11/9 Flight crew interviews
11/9 Start of aircraft examination
11/11 Aircraft examination continuing, crew interviews completed.
11/12 Recovered disc section sent to UK/RR for examination.
11/13 Engine successfully removed from the aircraft.
11/17 Engine dismantling at a workshop in Singapore with the LPT module being removed to gain access to IP turbine damage area.
11/22 Parts of interest have been photographed and sent to UK/RR for further examination.
12/2 Stub pipe announcement is made with a photograph of fatigue fracture.

So I think the Airbus CEO "interview" and reporting of the same is not in the right place on the time line for any conclusive cause to have been made.

3. Before further flight, carry out a borescope inspection of the bolted joints of the HP/IP [High Pressure/Intermediate Pressure] Support Structure area of each engine per RR NMSB G592.
Which one? Are there two? The one of suspicion would be the one between the HPT rotor and the IPT rotor which contains the plenum chamber where the oil lines feed and drain the roller bearing box. This is also where I think the stub pipe location is.

The bearing failure, slop, flop and buzz, allowed the IP Shaft to "migrate" aft??
I am having trouble believing the IP shaft could move back hardly at all without scoring the LPT shaft where it flares out going aft. There is not enough room there for this to happen without seeing the effects which are not in evidence in the photo of the removed LPT module.

Obviously, it sure would be nice to see the compressor areas of the engine to know all of this for certain.

Firstfloor - I loved you fictionalized Law vs Machine dissertation,LOL, but probably not far from reality.