PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 17:55
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If your British you should be ashamed
And if you're British then you should be ashamed of your spelling -

BTW - I think you'll find that BAe formed from the merger of Hawker Siddley, British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) and Scottish Aviation on 29 April 1977 as part of the "Aircraft and Shipbuilding Industries Act 1977". The addition of GEC-MARCONI in 1999 saw BAe turn into BAESYSTEMS.

Sadly, I have had many friends killed in BAES products due to "mistakes" as you like to call them:

Sqn Ldr Mike Harland RAF (Rtd) - working for BAES on a flight-test after major engineering work by the very same when his bang-seat fell out and he fell to his death.

Flt Lt "Jessie" Owens RAF - died during ejection when the massively over-specced engine on his BAES/RR engineered Tornado F3 blew up and the pilot lost all engine/flying controls for the aircraft. Thank God for Martin-Baker who saved my other mate who ejected well outside normal parameters.

Flt Sgt Adey Davies RAF - Flt Eng killed on XV230 along with 11 others when their aircraft, supposedly airworthy according to BAES's "botched" Safety Case, exploded in mid air. - to quote BAES "We acknowledge that there were a number of failings in our application of our internal processes and procedures during the course of work undertaken as part of the Nimrod safety review which took place between 2001 and 2004. We accept full responsibility for these failings and apologise unreservedly for them." The cause of the explosion, an AAR modification, was designed and fitted by BAe (not Hawker Siddley) in 1982. To quote Mr Haddon-Cave QC "If the Nimrod Safety Case had been drawn up with proper skill, care and attention, the catastrophic fire risks to the Nimrod MR2 fleet presented by the Cross-Feed/SCP duct and the Air-to-Air Refuelling modification would have been identified and dealt with, and the loss of XV230 in September 2006 would have been avoided". The Inquiry further goes on to say "BAE Systems had left 40% of the hazards "Open" and 30% "Unclassified"" within the Safety Case.

And you wonder why I am little bitter and twisted about your company!!!

3-strikes and you're out as far as I'm concerned...

The B Word

Last edited by The B Word; 3rd Jan 2011 at 19:10.