PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are P2 Hours Useless For anything other than if you want to be an offshore Captain?
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 16:36
Helipilot1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T Total

I suspected that they hadn't been P2's!!

At the risk of opening a can of worms and a barage of abuse from fellow PPruners - there may be a hint of jealousy when they spoke to you!!!

I would say that most heli pilots would like to get some twin time in their log books during their careers. For those that use the instructor route flying primarily single pistons and turbines - this can take some considerable time (depending on their employer). I suspect, and could well be wrong with this assumption, (and I apologise for any offence caused to some people) that the chief pilots you spoke too, may be slightly jealous of a low hour pilot jumping into a big twin for their first job and logging twin hours - an opportunity that they may never have had.

This may not be the case at all as I dont know the individuals concerned. I would say though that hours/experience is job dependant!! If i was a chief pilot recruiting (all other attributes being equal), then i would take the 1500hr pilot over the 300hr pilot. However, if it was a single pilot, single engine Onshore job and both pilots were 1500hr pilots with one having 1300hrs Offshore P2 and the other having 1500hrs Onshore experience (1300hrs P1) then I would be more inclined to hire the more experienced Onshore pilot!!!