PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Digitising Old Photo's
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 15:49
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
This has been covered at great length some time ago. Try searching, and then expand on your post. Right now, it's not making it clear just how far you've got.

I've tried severl ways of getting several thousand prints/negs/transparencies onto my computer. Some have been good, and some far from good.

One problem I had was going for the better Epson Scanner, gave me quite good results with transparencies, but the film holder looked like it had been made by some kid with an Airfix kit. In fact, it it had been, it probably would have been better. I returned it on that basis. I got an Epson 3170 photo refurbished, for about $70. It's fair-ish. Hugely better than the scanners that come with printers.

The dedicated 35mm scanners are really only suitable for professionals that have miles of the stuff to do. So much money, and almost no perceptible difference...except you can see more grain of the film.

I got astonishingly good results by simply photographing a good screen. You can't scan much quicker than that!