PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 09:31
Non Emmett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have followed with great interest the views on this thread, the heading at least in part is "Public Ignorance" of which there is plenty. Sadly few of us civvies out there know anyone serving in the military these days. As a teenager I recall travelling on a bus on a Sunday evening when almost the entire vehicle was occupied by military personnel heading for the mainline station to travel back to their base overnight. At school in Cornwall I encountered RAF personnel at every turn from St. Mawgan and St. Eval. Those days are long gone, I know several recently retired military personnel but no one currently serving.

You really ought not to ignore the sad lack of awareness many out there have so far as today's military are concerned. The BBMF with crews performing other daytime tasks seems to be the way forward I'd like to think. The Reds do perhaps have a reputation for a fairly expensive lifestyle - but they are the public face of the RAF. We seem to be able to gain some awareness of thge Fleet Air Arm as they continue to provide air shows at Yeovilton and Culdrose. If The Reds disband, Joe public in the main will know next to nothing about today's military. What's the answer? I wish I knew.

Regards to everyone serving. Come home safely.