PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 09:04
Admin_Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it bewildering that the blame culture continues to limit itself to whoever had his hands on the sticks. There were four crew members on this aircraft and one of the crewmen came from the Mull and therefore had local knowledge of the area. The GPS was not reliable and suffered from sh*t in equals sh*t out; and notwithstanding that, I had encountered errors of up to 5 miles on albeit rare occasion using the same kit without 'finger trouble' being a factor. If the pilot operating the nav kit was heads in, then reliance for safety would have been down to operating pilot and crewman. (The local knowledge crewman was also the one at the front).
When faced with similar circumstances regarding weather delivering SF to an exercise target in Germany, my crew stopped, literally, turned around (spot turn) and landed safely in the nearest available field. This aircraft also should have been able to slow down-go down-turn around which was and remains SOP for bad weather.
The bottom line is that we will never advance beyond speculation regarding those last minutes of flight, and because nobody ever will know for sure what really happened to burden the crew with total responsibility is and will remain so: Unfair.
Instead of us concentrating on reasons why the crew cannot be blamed, the MoD should be presenting evidence 'beyond all doubt' as to why the crew can be blamed. .....or change the verdict.