PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 03:15
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
212man,

It would have been helpful if you would have read the entire post. Apparently, you missed the very first sentence: "While I can't speak specifically about the main gearbox in question....". I assumed everyone understandsthat the S-92 MRGB does not have a 30 min run dry capability.

My post was addressed to poppahymen's comments about an MRGB that had operated with loss of lube, and then (apparently) been kept in service. I tried to explain that this is something that is normally not done with any MRGB, even those gearboxes with a qualified run dry capability. I also gave an explanation of how even an MRGB with a run dry capability will sustain some damage when operated under loss of lube conditions, and thus must be immediately overhauled. I was speaking in general terms and describing the majority of MRGB designs that have a run dry capability, and not the S-92 gearbox in particular.

To fully understand the failure of the S-92 MRGB, it should be helpful to have some background on how any MRGB achieves a run dry capability, and what are some of the issues involved.

You can take it or leave it.

riff_raff