PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are P2 Hours Useless For anything other than if you want to be an offshore Captain?
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 22:51
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP. Spent many an hour sitting with many "ink still wet on the CPL" guys and gals in the offshore. All that I've managed to keep a handle on have gone on to bigger and better things. So don't despair.

Especially if you are with another who is prepared to share his knowledge. Not always the case though.Some begrudge a newbie being next to them.
It takes all types. Newbies, as you call them, often take time to understand their place in the scheme of things. eg,
1. Had one 200 hour CPL tell me when he was flying he was in command - some begrudged being offered advice
2. Another when not flying would slide the seat back and place his size 10's on the instrument panel
3. One who's penchant was listening to the top 10 on the ADF at a volume where you couldn't communicate - pre landing checks please!!!! Easier to revert to single pilot, all the subtle hints in the world didn't work.

Not all their fault either. They were put into the seat with sometimes a pencil whipped endorsement (if you believe what they said) and it was all on the job training, often with people like me who had no instructional background.

Some of us had a reputation for being crusty old buggers, but you need to understand where my generation came from, military, Vietnam, so you had a generation gap of some dimensions. And then some. The upshot is it's a two way street.

The problem comes when is it time to move on ? ,to a single engine single pilot envoirnment.Away from the shelter of the 2 pilot 2 engine thing.
Not aware that any had a problem making the move. Not to say some didn't of course, just not aware of any.