PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - De-icing of ramps and taxiways
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 19:27
Dumbledor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool De-icing of ramps and taxiways

I was wondering if scarce resources and valuable de-icing fluid could have been saved after the recent LHR and LGW snowfalls.

While visiting Norway, Lapland Russia etc over the years in the winter it seems that they leave the ramps and sometimes taxiways covered in compacted snow/ice. I remember taking pictures of a Concorde in Roveniemi, Lapland on compacted snow and the taxiways were the same. All an a/c needs is a clean airframe and runway, as long as the taxiways/ramps have been ploughed and push back is not an issue of course. I know some of these places can be so cold that the snow won't melt and refreeze but not in late autumn or early spring. I saw an aerial shot of LHR on the news after most the clearing had been done and the taxiways and ramps had been completely de-iced. The obvious trick is to have enough ploughs to move the snow as it falls before any warming and refreezing, BUT after that the ramps could be left with a thin layer of compacted snow/ice. Ground vehicles and tugs may need chains but at least the apt can get going quicker. Navigation on the ground without follow-me cars as per Moscow would be a problem, so the signs and taxiway markers would need to be kept visible, so after ploughing the taxiways the lines and stop bars would need to be de-iced.

Is it time we look at how they do it in Oslo/Stockholm and I'm not just talking about spending more money on more equipment (which BAA needs to do anyway)

D