PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Both cleared to same level inthe hold?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 18:50
On the beach

Location: On a foreign shore trying a new wine diet. So far, I've lost 3days!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The solution is very simple to the AUH/UAE/DXB problems, however, its implementation may not be quite so simple.

You move the Dubai and Abu Dhabi approach units and the UAE centre to a neutral site, maybe just south of Jebel Ali, straddling the border. This would then place all controllers involved in the same building and preferably in the same room so that each knows and can see the problems of the other. They can then, at least, start working as a single cohesive unit.

You would then undergo a recruitment campaign to bring in fresh management for both the approach and en-route sides. The task ahead of you requires personnel who can think "outside the box" and don't come with any previous baggage. Then you'd need to recruit enough experienced ATCOs to fully staff all the positions, with some contingency.

A complete redesign of the airspace would then need to be done to optimise the traffic flows to/from DXB and AUH and Jebel Ali World together with a redesign of the overflying airways. Let's face it you're going to have to do that anyway when you've got 6 runways up and running and Emirates have another 150 aircraft, plus the 100 new planes that Etihad start accepting this year.

And how long would all this take? Well, my guess is if you had started the process about 5 years ago you would just about now be approaching a satisfactory solution.

In the meantime, I think I'll be stopping off in Doha more frequently, once their new airport is up and running. Can't be bothered with the increasing hassle at DXB any more.

Anyway chaps, good luck & stay safe. Got to go, is that the sound of an "oink" I just heard flying past the window?

On the beach