PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thorney Island Emsworth
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 16:54
AARON O'DICKYDIDO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bisley001

I would be interested in seeing the photo. On 8 Jun 75 I was a member of the 71 MU salvage team from RAF Bicester that arrived at TI to recover XV181 from the airfield to the 'Sunshine Hangar' on technical site. We had to put the nose on a track-jack. It took us 3 days altogether. Has luck would have it I was also a member of the team from RSS at RAF Abingdon that dismantled the aircraft and transported it by road to Marshalls of Cambridge during the very hot summer of '76. i was on the task from 1 Jun to 23 Jul 76.

While we were there in '76 the RAF handed over command of the station to the RN. I remember the food was dismal after the RN took over. On one occasion we were given 1/2 chicken and some rice for our evening meal. The following day we were given a plate of chips and a few beans. The cook explained that we had been given 2 days ration of meat the day before! We had several similar instances of such with the mess. Eventually our very popular flight commander (later Gp Capt) Bob Hooper (now deceased) came down from Abingdon and put us out on Rate 1s. Shame.

Happy days.

Last edited by AARON O'DICKYDIDO; 3rd Jan 2011 at 11:27. Reason: Inclusion of dates.