PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do we really need to retract flaps in case of an engine failure after take-off?
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 15:12
HazelNuts39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eagle737
1. performance limit (...) when taking off from an airport like MLE(capital airport in Maldives) -—we don't need to worry about climb gradient totally in case of an engine failure!
Wrong, regulatory minimum climb gradients apply always, with or without obstacles.

FAR regulations - (...) now i am still waiting for the answer.
These are the regulatory constraints:
FAR 25.111 Take-off path
(a) The take-off path extends from a standing start to a point in the take-off at which the aeroplane is 457 m (1500 ft) above the take-off surface, or at which the transition from the take-off to the en-route configuration is completed and VFTO is reached, whichever point is higher. In addition (...)
(c)(3) At each point along the take-off path, starting at the point at which the aeroplane reaches 122 m (400 ft) above the take-off surface, the available gradient of climb may not be less than –
(i) 1·2% for two-engined aeroplanes;
(...)

Have you checked that you can always meet the requirement of 25.111(c)(3)(i) with one engine inoperative, the remaining engine at maximum continuous thrust, and flaps in the takeoff setting?

Boeing is not the GOD
Right, even they are subject to regulations.

regards,
HN39

Last edited by HazelNuts39; 2nd Jan 2011 at 16:07.