PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines jet goes off runway in Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 14:17
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airman1900 - "How about departing JAC in a part 121 operation VFR without an IFR clearance and flying into clouds before receiving an IFR clearance. Numerous warnings by SLC center to aircraft landing at JAC about being off course and too low. Part 121 and 135 aircraft landing JAC with significant tail winds and coming to a screeching halt at the end of the runway.

If I may ask you, how many times you have actually landed or departed JAC at or near minimums with a contaminated runway and significant winds

You can depart VFR under certain circumstances. Flying into clouds is another issue if they did not have an IFR clearance.

As far as SLC center giving altitude warnings? It depends if the a/c were IMC or VMC/VFR/visual. I've heard enough comments from passengers, and sometimes pilots, that thought we were doing 'crazy' stuff that didn't understand that it was absolutely normal.

]I'm not sure what you're calling 'significant' tailwinds. It wasn't an issue in this event. I'm not sure if you're complaining about AA specifically or others.

As far as my personal experience w/JAC with winds and weather? My JAC experience is at least 3 yrs old so the most common memory is of good weather(as it is anywhere in the U.S.). Did I fly there in the middle of the winter. Yes. Have I landed there in the snow? Yes. Winds? Yes. Winds and snow? I don't remember that ever happening. And this event is more typical of my bad weather experience there, snow with light winds.