PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines jet goes off runway in Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 13:51
airman1900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aterpster:

Respectfully, I beg to differ.

<<I am very familiar with KJAC, and I fail to see the comparsion, especially for the well-equipped air carrier aircraft with RNP AR capability.>>

Hitting rocks in the totally boxed in by mountains JAC airport, with a blown engine is definitely an issue. In my opinion, the terrain at JAC is as challenging when compared to air carrier served airports in AK. Lack of nearby alternates, other than IDA, must be considered.

The valley floor is wide enough for an ILS with low minimums. I’m not a TERPS expert. In my opinion, legally designed approaches aren’t all equally safe.

<<The airport is a no-brainer for the competent, qualified jet crew when the runway is clean and dry.>>

In winter(roughly Nov-Mar), the runway at JAC is very often not clean and dry.

JAC is unattended at night. The observer, other than moose and coyote is often only the AWOS-3. ANC, FAI, JNU, or SIT are all attended 24 hrs.

In my opinion, especially at night, with a crosswind/gusty component, drifting snow, low visibility, JAC is a challenge.