PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 13:27
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
S41

Happy New Year. To an extent I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

I did try to read the SDSR paper but gave up as it was poorly written, full of contradications, based on wishful thinking, and lacked detail. I did watch Dr Fox looking increasingly angry as the Prime Minister announced the review. I also read the post SDSR message from the First Sea Lord who acknowledged the risks and problems losing carrier aviation for a decade would cause.

I also remember hearing a senior RN Officer talking back in March. He stated the the decisions being taken over the next few months would affect the UK for decades. He also suggested that it was possible that some capabilities not currently needed could be taken over by Reservists - this was a general comment and NOT aviation related per se.

I remember being aboard Illustrious several years ago during a period of Harrier flying. Whilst waiting in the scran queue, I found a naval aviation magazine. Inside was an article by a senior aviator - an experienced Sea Harrier pilot, stating that there was a danger of naval aviators losing familiarity with the shipboard environment, and of carrier personnel losing the skills needed for fixed wing operations.

A number of times I have heard and seen the expert opinion, based on the experience of other navies, that it takes about ten years to go from scratch to having our current level of expertise at conducting fixed wing carrier flying operations - a point that the SDSR ignores. That is why this is such a huge issue.

It is rumoured that one of the reasons that so many Challenger II MBTs and 155mm guns are being retained is because the Generals worried about skill fade, but persumably feel no need to consider the problems of the other Services.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 2nd Jan 2011 at 20:36.