PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quickest & Cheapest way to get PPL in UK
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:11
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
A few points:

- I've professionally had reason to flight test both SkyRangers and Cessna 152s (former for certification, latter for research). On the whole, I'd actually say that the C152 has slightly the better sorted handling - the SKR is a lovely machine to fly and I'd be happy to own one, but the handling is pretty average, whilst the C152 is a fantastically well sorted training aeroplane which you'd be hard to improve upon for an inexperienced pilot. So, whatever reason your chap scared himself in the C152, I don't think it's because the SKR is particularly benign.

- The word Ultralight has specific legal meaning in several countries, but it has no meaning in UK regulations.

- Skill test /GFT pass standards are the same in microlights and light aeroplanes, and both classes of pilot then immediately start developing bad habits as soon as they start flying unsupervised!

- I started on microlights then went to bigger aeroplanes. I think it's a great route, and I absolutely agree that it's about the cheapest way to get you flying safely. However, there are some profound differences between microlights and large aeroplanes, which are rooted in the low weight and low stall speed of the microlight - everything changes much faster. These are at the root of why some form of training is essential going in either direction.

- There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a microlight PPL, and flying them for years. You have a PPL, and can fly good 2-seat aeroplanes. "Upgrading" is strictly optional. You can buy better aeroplanes for less money, people have flown around the world in them - the only limitation is that of day-VMC and 2 seats: that limitation applies to most PPL(SEP) holders too.

G