PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do we really need to retract flaps in case of an engine failure after take-off?
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 00:54
eagle737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do we really need to retract flaps in case of an engine failure after take-off?

hello, experts, one qiz doubt me very much recently--do we really need to retract flaps in case of an engine failure after take-off?
the standard procedure of B737 says we can retract flaps when above min retraction alt. i think that's because of performance requirement if we need to follow the departure route, but in real world, retracting flaps has few negative factors:
1\increase crew's work load,do we really need to retract then extend flaps? remember we might have time pressure if we need to turn back;
2\increase potential hazards of system failure such as flaps...what if we can't extend flaps again after retract them?

my opinion is it should depend on different situations:
1\if we need to turn back,
a.with critical terrain situation, normally we will have a specific procedure for it,follow it.
b.with nice terrain situation,keep your take-off flap setting,follow ATC instruction.
2\if we need to divert, retract flaps.

one more thing,for situation 1/a, i really suggest performance dept to design a procedure without flaps retracting action. i've ever heard there is 3 different way to design the single-engine inoperative procedure, and one of them is without flaps retracting action? i don't know it's true or not?

waiting for your opinions,thank u!