PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 WORST Britons - according to the Daily Mail
Old 29th Aug 2002, 19:15
A Civilian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to start a massive WW2 tactics thread so im not going to reply WE Branch Fanatic to your post on that.

Suffice to say that many people think that just because Churchill was the sitting PM during WW2 then that automatically mean's that he was a hero. And tend not to want to know the details of WW2 itself and Churchill's part in it.

Churchill was certainly charismatic and had an almost unnatural way with words unlike myself as many ppl have pointed out
Some people say that we WON WW2. I'd more acturatly state that we were on the winning side Certainly the fall of France was not his fault (i think he became PM on the very day the Germans invaded) yet the subsequent stratigic decisions that he directed and were implemented by his general staff where almost all distarious undertaking's.

That we would all be wearing swastica's now if not for his "leadership" is suspect. Germany could never of invade the UK due to our naval strength even if our airforce had of been destroyed in the BoB. If America hadn't of been attacked by Japan we would of certainly been forced to sue for peace in early 1942. Our Bank of England was broke. And we lacked suficent ships to force the u-boat blockade withoutneutral countries shipping construction. The Alliance between Japan and Germany was certainly fragil. They were on the other side of the planet from each other, they could not come to each other's aid. And it is just pure luck that Germany declared war on America nothing more.

DUNKIRK WAS NOT A VICTORY. Just because we rescued 250,000 men does not make it a good thing. Most of these men were subsequently captured in north africa or at Singapour. Where these victories? People always state things like Dunkirk and 2nd El Alamine as being great victories THEY WERE NOT given surrounding events in the world.

Ask a German about WW2 and they will imeditaly talk about the great battles on the eastern front against the Russians. The North African and other western battles our barely remembered today. We simply had little effect on the german military machine. And who's order's were we under at that time?

All of Churchill's bluster and "fighting spirit" led to nothing but body bag's in defeat after defeat. Like I said perhaps ppl should read a few biograph's or general histories about Churchill before you decide to equalate him with some sort of great war hero.