PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 1st Jan 2011, 21:11
ospreydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a little different but not in a conspiracy theory kind of way. Almost every mishap has this happen, but it only becomes contentious in high-visibility investigations.

Privilege is taken very seriously in military mishap investigations. It distinguishes the reports given by Aviation Mishap Boards (AMB) from the punitive investigations given by Judge Advocate General (JAG) investigations and Field Flight Performance Boards (FFPB in the Marines, not sure of the USAF term).

The AMB gets privileged testimony, i.e. what someone tells the AMB cannot be used against him for punitive action. A pilot can say he screwed up the approach, a mechanic can say he smoked pot, whatever. The point is just to find out what happened in order to prevent it from happening again, not to establish blame. Privileged testimony and reports derived from it are briefed within the military aviation community to enhance safety, but are not supposed to be released generally. That would undermine the whole system of free disclosure.

The reports released to the public are generally based on JAG investigations, so they are generally less revealing and open than the ones briefed internally, which are more "warts and all."

The above is written from a USN/USMC perspective, so I'll leave the USAF particulars to others, though the principles are very similar.

Regardless, what I can say is that this mishap is not an Osprey-particular mishap. It could occur to any platform whose job is flying really f'g low in the desert.