PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ways to get there...
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2011, 16:52
rikesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow An update, 2.5 years on...

Thought I would resurrect this thread and let you know how I'm getting on. Not that anyone's interested (but I'd like to think someone out there will benefit from reading this!)

So, during my second year of college (A-level finals 2009), I began training for my JAA PPL at Leicestershire Aeroclub. Meanwhile, I applied for a place on the Mathematics (G100) course at The University of Nottingham. As the year went by, flying went well and I was progressing through the PPL. College went well and I was offered a conditional place at Nottingham (among others).

Summer was lovely. A-level results arrived in August and I got my confirmed place at Nottingham. In September, after 3 cancellations for my Skills Test, I passed the PPL - with 5 days to spare before I moved to Nottingham.

Flying was being funded by part-time work. I'd like to offer my strongest recommendations for Leicester Airport. The rates are excellent (£122ph dual, C-152). Throughout my training, everyone I met was supportive and encouraging. During the year, I flew with almost every one of the 4-5 outstanding instructors (including the CFI). It is a great place to learn to fly and I would recommend it to anyone in the area.

In 2009, I was lucky enough to win an Air League scholarship which paid for my final 12 hours before the Skills Test. I'd like to take the opportunity to once again thank the Air League for their wonderful generosity in awarding this scholarship. The interview/selection process was a great experience and I met many interesting people from different parts of the country!

I am now in second year on the Maths course. Uni is incredible. I've learnt more in the last 2 years about life than I had ever done in my previous 18. Do not pass up the opportunity to go to uni - you will regret it.

I am still very much determined to become an airline pilot. My plan is to come out of uni with a respectable degree and enter into any well-paying full-time job for a few years. This is a question I want to ask: What jobs or sectors would you suggest?

All going well, I'll gather together enough cash to start training modular for the ATPL. Hopefully the industry (and economy in general) will have picked up in a few years. Maybe a UK airline will be brave enough to offer some kind of sponsorship?

Happy New Year! Let's hope 2011 marks the return of aviation success.