PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2011, 15:54
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHT

DERGīs post about that quoted LHT sentence made me dig through many reports and interviews I could find in german media. What I think has happened is, a statement of one LHT member was conveniently shaped to the editors intent. Those statements or quotations of LHT I found to the case is like quote: . . .for the time being . . .we see no reason to not operate the A 380 . .
That would make much more sense than this simply stupid sentence. One day after such a severe accident no one that uses his/her brain will make such a statement.

But to come back to more technical items.
The socalled "A mod" version of the Trent 900 is the engine installed on the first deliveries to QF and SIA
Lufthansa received its first A 380 - D-AIMA - on may, 19 2010. According information I was able to find only one engine on that plane upon delivery was a "A mod" version.
D-AIMA experienced very early into line service upon return from China an inflight shut down - 1 hour prior landing at FRA - of one engine because of quote: "irregularities in the oil system"

That engine was taken off the wing and went into that Arnstadt shop.

Next was the either FOD or birdstrike generated change of one engine on a LH - A 380 somwhere after the Qantas case had happened.

The third change of engine I know of was conducted after RR had issued that recommendation not to use any "A mod" engines until upgraded to later standard.

The forth engine switch to come is scheduled for next week Wednesday or Thursday to have that plane ready for service by Friday.

Interesting information on the side.
This engine was closely monitored since mid December. Other than directed by the EASA EAD 2010 - 0236-E LH checked itīs engine since that EAD not only every 20 cycles as requested, but instead after every ONE flight cycle !! I believe their usage of the type allows for that extra effort.
May be, thatīs the difference between having the engines leased or possesing them as own property ??
Jo

Last edited by Annex14; 2nd Jan 2011 at 08:33.