PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shamrock hiring
Thread: Shamrock hiring
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2011, 14:12
max tanking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI Recruitment

To all of those out there wondering what the process is like at SHAMrock.

Been a little while since I went through the process, but if it helps. There were a couple of trips to DUB. First was a stupid set of IQ type tests. I believe they were called indices matrices, basically a what comes next type of affair. Matching patterns, and they start off pretty easy and get more difficult. They were ok if you took your time and looked for patterns. You can look them up online. Was trying to remember which site I used to practice, but if you get a call for interview I am sure I could find out.

The interview was on the same day. There was an HR bod and a management pilot. Usual why, how, tell me about questions. Tech questions were along the lines of what is VMCG/A, Mach tuck and coffin corner. Nothing new if you've been through the ACE book. I've heard of guys getting strange questions like How does a microwave work? TV work? Combustion engine?
Again pretty straight forward if you do your homework. They really are seeing if you will fit in to the Aer Lingus profile. Now that's a whole new thread!
If you get on well here it's into the A320 sim for the sim check.

For the sim assessment, you will have one of the old hand instructors. True gentlemen, everyone of them. They want you to pass. The brief is comprehensive and will give you all the information you need. If you are already on the bus, it will pretty much be a basic PC, if you have not flown airbus before, I might suggest having a very good go on a flight sim, and a read up on how the control laws on the airbus differ from what you're on at the moment. Even a quick hour in a sim at your own expense. That'll just give you a feel for the bus. No it's not cheating. If you're up against people that are type rated, its just increasing the odds in your favour.

If you get through the sim, you'll get an appointment for a medical. If you have a Class 1 you'll have no problems.

Hope that helps.
I don't know if they've started, finished recruitment. In all honesty I doubt if the dumb-asses in HR have a clue what's going on. Hassle the hell out them is my advice, in a nice way. Just so they know who you are. Not to the point of pishing them off. If you don't, and you are waiting for them to call you. It'll be a long old wait. Those with contacts will get a call, just because thats the way EI is. Be under no illusion, you will not be working for a legacy carrier. If you are with a decent jet carrier now, have a long think about making the leap. However, if you want to be home, then if you can deal with the time to command and all the other cr@p that comes with the job. go for it. Day to day, it's a great job. Just go in,do the job, have a laugh, get paid. Could be worse.

All the best.
Happy New Year.

Max