PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ils landing lights
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2011, 03:36
R.Barry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the dHC-8, as most other "new" aircraft, we have three sets of external lights: taxi (1), flare (2), and approach (2).

Where we were the only the only aircraft in the area the use of landing lights was only to help us see the runway or to warn the skidoos, etc., to get off the strip. When we got into more congested areas then there were others in the sky to watch out for and to expose ourselves to.

I find that using the lights sequentially works well; both for letting others see me and know what I am intending to do plus helping enhance my memory and as a memory confirmation aid.

For departure:
· Taxi ON anytime on the move on the ground. This is to let all the ground vehicles know I am moving more than to help me see where I am going until I get onto the taxiway which has reflectors as opposed to edge lights. Turned OFF when not moving – e.g. at any hold-short point
· Flare + Taxi ON when cleared to line up. This lets others know when I am on the runway and, at night, allows me to see runway markings so I am more likely to be on my desired runway. Hopefully, it also makes me more visible to the Tower and possibly even to someone on final behind me. Operating the switch helps reinforce in my mind that I have a clearance and that am moving onto an active runway
· (Strobes ON is Std Ops Procedure when on any runway)
· Approach + Flare + Taxi is selected ON with a take-off clearance which again reinforces to myself that I have a clearance plus gives maximum illumination of the runway
· Approach left ON and Flare + Taxi OFF when comfortably established in the climb. The Taxi light reflects back into the cockpit if there is any precipitation or cloud. The Flare light points downward across your line of sight which obscures forward vision plus induces a false horizon enticing one to level the beams – i.e. pull back too hard
· Approach OFF climbing through 10,000’ to save the bulbs plus, in the past, you were now clear of all VFR traffic and so ATC would help identify all conflicts

For arrival:
· Approach ON going through 10,000 where one enters “Indian country” (i.e. Piper aircraft like Cherokee, etc.) in order to enhance ones visibility. Additionally, if you have a single needle altimeter, it reinforces that you are in the final stages of decent (I know, I know – it is too late when going into Quito and other mountainous terrain areas)
· Approach + Flare ON with an approach clearance. Again, moving the switch tends to drive it into my memory bank and, if I am unsure later, I can glance at the switch position. As per Rotorgoat8’s comment - for the times that I am getting splash back from the lights leave the Flare OFF – “you can turn them back on, as needed, when the runway is in sight”. (Those of us that grew up without, or with minimal, runway lights after a non-precision approach dim their cockpit lights so that we can see out the window. Therefore any splash-back is blinding)
· Approach + Flare + Taxi ON with a landing clearance as moving the switch helps reinforce memory plus sets you up with max illumination for the landing and roll out. Again, Approach only until the Flare + Taxi helps vision as opposed to obscuring vision

Following the same procedures night and day helps make it a habit and so I am less likely to get caught being inconsistent and lost.
cheers,
Barry