PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL question
Thread: PPL question
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2010, 18:41
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jason,

Wherever you learned to fly, they ought to be available to you at least for the occasional practical question. You must have some kind of personal relation with at least one instructor, haven't you? I can never imagine any instructor refusing some little practical help to a successful ex-student. More generally: ask, ask, and ask again. And not only on the internet.

As for your eventual flight to Germany: there's the separate issues of long-distance navigation (not a big hurdle with today's technology, but do make sure to have a plan B for every possible failure) and flying over water - a subject already discussed in depth recently at my own initiative, and not for the first time either. If not VERY sure, don't! Many UK pilots seem to consider crossing to Le Touquet a big accomplishment - they might well be right. At the very least, read their stories. Then think.

Ah, and I almost forgot a third issue: other country, other rules, other traditions. Take NOTHING for granted abroad - English language is just one delicate point. Fuel might be another, as can be read elsewhere on these pages.

Come to think of it: your question seemed to aim at the legal aspects - I can't offer any answer there, unacquainted as I am with the Clover & Harp AIP. But practical issues do spring to a pilot's mind, aye they do. Actually the "can I" question should be double:
1) Am I allowed? (which I think was your real question)
2) Am I able? (which may well take some doing - and perfect ability is not of this world, anyway)

Last edited by Jan Olieslagers; 30th Dec 2010 at 18:53.