PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you ever get annoyed with PPL students?
Old 29th Aug 2002, 14:08
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been said before, and will need to be said time and time again - an effort needs to be made at all times; both between pilots on the flightdeck, between instructor and student, between ATCO and pilot as well as in numerous other instances, needlessly stressing people out is not good for safety, for PR, for clarity or blood pressure.

Such blatant rudeness as G-SXTY encountered here cannot be condoned. If it had been a busy day, then there is some excuse, and if the guy was having a bad time with the wife having run off with the dustman and the cat having eaten his breakfast, then he should either take leave or leave his problems at home.

As a professional pilot trying to get into a commercial flight into a regional airport with lots of training traffic with PPL's bumbling over the words and the field, I have on many occasions got impatient. However, I make a very conscious effort to keep RT communications professional and even-keeled, remembering that I was a learner once.

To treat a PPL student as a small child is insulting, patronising and downright RUDE. Had I overheard the above conversation I would have telephoned later and berated him for not sticking to approved RT procedure, quite apart from his attitude problem.