PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a holding pattern
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2010, 16:30
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PANS OPS has some quite significant differences. However, let's stick with one standard even if it is not the applicable one.

Can you please construct a turn area based on an aircraft flying inbound to TGO on the same radial that is the inbound leg of the hold and making a left turn at the fix?

Can you also plot the primary and secondary areas of the various holding and initial approach sectors you have described.

Thank you

As I said, being in the hold is simply a distraction and there is absolutely no requirement to continue in the hold once given onward clearance.

Having designated TGO as a turn fix the procedure designer has to design the turn area - in the appropriate direction. They do not expect aircraft to turn in the wrong direction. The protected airspace for the turn will be different from the protected airspace for the hold and by turning the wrong way you can cause problems because once established inbound in the hold, if then cleared to proceed beyond TGO on the Initial Approach leg, ATC are entitled to assume that you will turn left and base separation on that.

You could find that for example an aircraft which is established inbound on the hold and cleared for the approach is deemed separated from an aircraft on a departure because the departure protected area and the turn area (to the left) do not intersect. If you turn right without clearance you can cause big problems.

So like I said - can anyone give me an example from PANS-OPS or TERPS of a turn at at fix which is initially away from the desired onward track?

Last edited by DFC; 30th Dec 2010 at 16:47.