PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 727 Question
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2010, 15:22
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marker Inbound,

We'd hold the same mach as we were cruising at and switch over to 300-310 knots.
You typically would be cruising around M=0.84-0.85 right?

trimotor,

It's been a while, but the 727 has issues between lateral (high) and longitudinal (low) stability.
I never heard anything about the plane having poor longitudinal stability, I guess you learn something new every day.

Don't think the T tail has much, if anything to do with it, though get too much yaw (11° is the magic number in the back of my head) and the tail will reputedly come off.
11-degrees of sideslip?

The 727-100 will depart if Dutch Roll is left unchecked (you'd have to be dead not to notice it)
Of course, the plane rolls and yaws back and forth all over the place.

the 727-200 is pretty-much neutral (longer, and more directional stability)
I thought a shorter plane had more directional stability (at least that's why I was always under the impression that the 747-SP had a bigger tail) than a long plane

The aircraft has significant MEL restrictions relating deispatch with inop yaw dampers.
Was it's dutch roll characteristics worse than the 707?

By George,

Obviously slowing down using any means helps but the best way to recover is as the 'down' wing starts to rise apply full into down wing aileron and back to neutral.
I assume if you were getting dutch-roll, the yaw-dampers would be dead, would you use small rudder inputs with the ailerons, or just the ailerons alone?

411A,

Yup....and the early 707's were much the same, divergent dutch roll was a definite possibility, if not handled correctly.
I assume the 707 had worse dutch-roll characteristics than the 727 because of it having a higher wing-sweep?