PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomb and "ice-cream" markings on Phantom of the Ruhr
Old 30th Dec 2010, 14:20
cambioso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for the explanation TEEEJ - much appreciated!
Yes Bren it was a fantastic trip for Dad and I.
I knew Ben one of the engineers on the Coventry refurb. and he arranged for the Lanc to be made available.
I didn't mention it to Dad, and instead bored him with a trip round our Falcon (then based at Cov). Usual mutterings about "all computer games these days" and "Watch and compass didn't do us much harm" etc etc.......
Then I took him around the corner of the hangar where Ben and crew had pulled "Phantom" out of the hangar especially.
It was extremely emotional on all sides as the guys lined up and shook his hand, then pulled the stairs up so he could stump about inside.
He was in and over the main-spar like a gazelle and into "his" seat before you could blink (actually there was a lot of blinking all round as you could imagine.......)
When he was eventually prised out of the cockpit, and back to earth, he wondered round the aircraft looking up at her lost in thought (we cannot begin to imagine his thoughts then)
He remarked "Big isn't it?" thanked everyone, and walked away without a backward glance.
An un-forgetable day and I will always be indebted to Ben and his crew for letting it happen.
Thanks again Chaps,
Jez