PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines jet goes off runway in Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Old 30th Dec 2010, 13:21
SKS777FLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks to me he touched down very near the PAPI's which are, I think about 1400' from the threshold there at JAC, about 25 second mark and then sailing on down the runway past taxiway A3 and not until the north end of the terminal, (maybe 2500 feet of runway remaining) and near the crossing of taxiway A2 ..... not until there (about 15 seconds later) does the left engine reverser sleeve translate aft. At least half of the terminal has gone by and looks to me like about 1500 - 2000 ft remaining, the engine spools way up.
There are quite a few shots during the rollout that the camera angle is far enough aft to catch sight of at least some of the outer 4 spoiler panels ..... however none are ever visible to my eyes.
Spoiler issue, either armed or not, the PNF calls out "NO SPOILERS"on touchdown if they do not deploy and the Captain is to deploy them manually.
PNF also immediately calls out any engine not in reverse. The spoilers will not deploy automatically on touchdown unless the throttles are at idle, and if deployed will auto retract if the throttles are advanced even slightly.

I recall occasionally having to wrestle with the reverser interlocks on the 757 to get them to deploy, but never suffered an inability with all hydraulic and aircraft systems functioning properly to deploy the spoilers manually.
For the Captains sake, I hope the auto brake and spoiler systems, if operating,were armed but did not function. I hope for his sake, that the spoilers were deployed either automatically or manually and if not, they failed to deploy to pilot command.
Three items clear from Youtube video.
1. Touchdown reasonably close to PAPI's.
2. No outer wing spoilers.
3. No left engine reverse thrust deployment for at least 15 seconds after TD.
Another detail, JAC runway 19 has a slight downslope, maybe a 40 foot elevation change along the runway from end to end.