PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sticky the Stick Insect Stuck on a Sticky bun
Old 16th Sep 2001, 21:14
David Johnson

I think that this confirms a simple truism. That is that the aviation industry is very buoyant.

Whenever I have typed messages to inspire younger wannabes time and time again I have stressed along with others the need for a backup plan.

Determination, motivation and the will to suceed are the ingredients for success but these must be coupled with planning.

Where does that planning start? I would say at age 16 before people choose their A-Level subjects. That is because it is your A-Level subjects that will basically shape your future and dictate what fields you can go into.

For example - mine choices in order of preference are:

Pilot
Air Traffic Controller
Aicraft Engineer

It is quite possible that all of these may be effected but at least my degree of Aeromechanical Systems Engineering will allow me to go into the military world - say for BAE SYSTEMS to work on military technology. If not there, my degree allows me to show skills that are needed and wanted in many workplaces.

The above applies to me and is merely there as an example...but I think that the moderators and many other people would agree that planning is critically important from an early stage.