PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 (Merged a few times)
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2002, 12:52
Nopax,thanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops, we've wandered off a bit here, but I must add my 104 piece. Back in the 70's the papers were full of F-104 Widowmaker stories; and of course the WGAF/WGN did lose a lot of 'em. But, as was said, with 800+ (I think) aircraft, it translated to a loss percentage in the low 20's.

By loss rate comparison, more Lightnings were lost in accidents (About 27% if my memory serves correctly) Another factor was that German pilots were (and still are) trained in the clear blue skies of Arizona initially; then they zoom about in the low level clag that covers Europe - of course they crash a lot!

Anyway, back to the TSR2; wasn't the one at Duxford used by Cranfield for years? I did read 'Project Cancelled' and it actually brought tears to my eyes just to think of what could have been - of course prototypes don't always live up to promises, that's what development is all about. Looking at the military aircraft that are still about today (F-111, B-52, KC-135, et al) it shows what can be achieved over the years - they must bear hardly any resemblance to their original versions, except in the purely visual form.

At least the HS681 got built - it just took twenty years and a name change to the BAe146!!!!!