PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 30th Dec 2010, 00:21
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Otter,

I wasn't going to say anything, but frankly, your last post simply serves to highlight your total unsuitability for Commissioned Service in the RAF. Your attitude stinks, and even if you did manage to somehow blag your way past OASC, you would be found out very very quickly once at IOT and in all likelihood be re-coursed at best or chopped at worst for attitude. Whilst OASC and IOT has very definite standards, which are objectively graded against, be under no illusion that every flight commander asks the same question come graduation time: would I want to go and have a beer with this guy? Do not underestimate how much part that very unofficial thought process plays in the final decisions. If you have struggled but are seen to be a decent guy, it could be the one thing tips the decision in your favour. If you have struggled but are seen to be a bit of an arse, well all I can say is I wouldn't want to spend over a year at IOT.

We are an organisation that has a very serious role to play in the defence of the United Kingdom and the pursuit of HM Government policy. That role demands a constant appraisal of how we do - both on a daily basis and on a more personal basis, annually in your appraisals. Much of this appraisal process involves giving and receiving criticism that frankly nobody likes to hear. But we do it because at the end of the day, that criticism could be the difference between operational success or a large smoking hole somewhere and operational failure.

The majority of people who take time to post on this forum are experienced operators who have been on active ops since before you were born. Equally, there are a number of individuals on here who are intimately involved with the recruiting process. You would be well advised to pin your ears back and listen when they speak. Whether you take their advice is another matter.

Now I strongly suggest you go and think about who it is you are dealing with - and asking for help from - on here. If you feel the need to apologise to individuals, take it on the chin and do so. However, if you want to keep ranting at people taking time to give you the benefit of their experience, you will simply continue to come across as a more suitable candidate for a position as the next David Brent - or God forbid - Stuart Baggs 'The Brand'.

Go away, learn a bit of humility and importantly, how to accept constructive criticism and then come back with a new profile and start afresh.

Last edited by Melchett01; 30th Dec 2010 at 00:31.