PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Both cleared to same level inthe hold?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2010, 18:08
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both cleared to same level inthe hold?

Excuse my ignorance but would like to hear some input ref an experience in DXB last week. Was extremely busy arrivals pattern (worst I have seen in 3.5 yrs flying here) and we were cleared to the BUBIN hold, FL280. I was just taking this in mentally when an a/c ahead called that he was also cleared to the same hold at the same level. Yes, I thought, switched on fellow (and I was getting there, too - alarm bells were going off inside the cranium!) The - very busy - ATCO told him firmly that, yes, he was but that he would be dropped furhter before his arrival. Now that turn of events worried me since it was already very busy and the frequency was getting congested and the ATCO might forget or get distracted. I could envisage him turning outbound and me getting a rather too-close look at his paint scheme.

Is this common practice? It was certainly something that I had not heard of before, 2 a/c cleared to the same bit of sky at the same level even though the intention was to onward clear/descend one of them before it became an issue? I heard it used a few times that night and I was a little concerned to say the least. Maybe I just haven't taken it on board before but I have been flying for some 24 years or so and I couldn't help but be curious. Would love some feedback from those that 'push tin'.