PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Networking in the industry - please help
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2010, 15:32
Adam1919

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Networking in the industry - please help

Hi guys,

Wondered if you could help.

I am just over half way on my PPL with 25 hours in the bag and now on Nav. I have also completed most of the ground exams (only flight planning, nav and air tech to do). I have also obtained by FRTOL.

I am traning part time on the modular route and do intend to pursue a career without getting too far ahead of myself.

I have heeded all the advice re motivation, persistence and hard work and making good progress. My question is around networking that this seems to be something I should be doing in the long run up to one day getting an interview.

As an experienced business person 'networking' as such is not new to me however I am not sure how best to go about this in the aviation industry. I have tried writing to the main airlines querying if they can help me eg visting their head office, meeting flight crew or even any volunteer opportunities so I can mix a bit with those already in the game. The response has been in general they cant help me with very standard responses from HR assistants.

I am wondering if anyone can point out the obvious to me? How they got themselves known? Who they wrote to/contacted?, which events they attended or how they went about networking? Which contacts to pursue?

I am keen to learn and more than prepared to go out of my way to not just get the licences but also get to know the industry more I one day want to join.

Has anyone got any wisdom on how to build up useful contacts in the industry and get out there?

Any suggestions/advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated, particually those who pursued a modular route like me and were successful in eventually getting a job.

Many thanks,