PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2010, 14:38
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I suspect that BTP have not had air support since Jarvis went to the wall... it was their helicopter and largesse that provided the lions share of the police air time. As most of that was PR stunt use for the BBC and ITV news I do not hold their 'experience' in high regard.

There is another item in that Manchester paper of interest.

They quote the officer from Hampshire Federation as stating his confidence in 'the service ..... won't be badly affected.... reducing from three to two aircraft ...... diminished..... adequate but [not the] Rolls-Royce service we've been used to.'

Bear in mind that the three aircraft we are talking about as producing the Rolls Royce service were not actually particularly active.... the now deleted Hampshire fixed wing was a bit of a fair weather friend and both it and Sussex have not been over busy. I do not have the numbers but I believe well below 1,000pa each.

There may be grounds to state that their service might improve slightly with two fully funded aircraft flying to capacity .... 1,200 hours per year each.... but I think even before Sussex is deleted that just will not happen. After Sussex is deleted the remaining Surrey aircraft will be physically unable to give the three counties full service to even current expectations.

This may be reflected in many areas across the country leaving the busy aircraft [1,200+ pa] still busy but the sluggards remaining unfunded through 2012. Probably beyond because of contracts.