PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 29th Dec 2010, 07:44
Jabiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the original poster asserts, repeatedly and in no uncertain terms that the airlines intentionally hire underqualified and inexperienced airman, and establish lower wages to that end. The intent of the original poster has been stated repeatedly, the posts have been identified, and this is not within the realm of dispute.
The original poster attempted to make his case without citation or reference or quote
Ok, so if all this is required for the original poster to prove the validity of his assertion is a citation or reference, how about this:
Fatal Flying on Airlines No Accident in Pilot Complaints to FAA - Bloomberg
Specifically:
Pilots say Gulfstream has an unhealthy relationship between its airline and its flight school. Gulfstream’s training program is different from others, because it guarantees students time as a first officer, the No. 2 position in the cockpit, flying passengers for its own airline, Gulfstream says on its Web site.
“We offer the fastest possible transition to the ‘Right Seat’ of a commercial airliner,” Gulfstream says.
For $32,699, students get 522 hours of training -- including 250 hours as a first officer for Gulfstream International Airlines. That means student pilots are paying Gulfstream for the privilege of flying as first officers.
“Gulfstream is selling the job,” says Charlie Preusser, a regional airline pilot who flew for Manassas, Virginia-based Colgan Air. “When you’ve got a guy fronting the cash, there’s a lot of pressure on the company to keep him onboard no matter how bad he is.”
And:
Add 'pilot' to list of jobs that aren't so great now - USATODAY.com
Specifically:
The lack of advancement, low starting wages and training that can cost tens of thousands of dollars are leading fewer young people to become commercial airline pilots, says Les Westbrooks, a professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
"If I'm a smart young person ... I can go into medicine, engineering, I could go anywhere," Westbrooks says. "I would say that the passion of the students to fly ... is what has sustained the industry for a long time. But there comes a point where your passion and mathematics meet. And we are at that point."
And of course we have this classic blog:
Pilots on Food Stamps | MichaelMoore.com
Specifically:
He then showed me his pay stub. He took home $405 this week. My life was completely and totally in his hands for the past hour and he's paid less than the kid who delivers my pizza.