PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - City University - Is this for real?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2002, 10:08
Don Stirling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the Course Director for City University's BSc (Honours) course in Air Transport Operations (ATOps) with ATPL I feel I must respond tp Piper Warrior Pilot's comments. I hope the moderators will not feel this is open advertising.

Yes, the degree is expensive - but training to be an airline pilot is expensive. We use three FTOs - BAE Systems, Cabair and OATS - to provide the full integrated ATPL course which makes up the second year of the degree. We have no control over this cost - it is between the individual student and the FTO to negotiate the cost.

The University fee of £15000 may seem high. However this is the true cost of a University education. Most readers of this forum will be aware of the Government's attitude to flying as an occupation. Hence when the degree was set up HEFCE refused to provide any funding for the course. When you enrol on most dgeree courses and pay your £1000 pa tuition fee the university will normally receive about £7000 per student per annum from HEFCE. They will not pay this for an ATOps student, hence the ATOps student has to pay it himself. Unfortunate, but take it up with the Government. We did not have much success.

Students on the course HAVE found the money - and they do not all have rich parents. Some of them have shown great ingenuity and perseverance obtaining loans and grants from various different organisations to fund the total.

City Universiity did not initiate the course. We were approached by FTOs as prospective students were worried that, after spending £50000 on an ATPL and no job at the end (nothing is guaranteed) they had no other qualification to tide them over. We then used input from the CAA, GAPAN and BA to decide on the course content. Now, when you finish you have a "frozen" ATPL and an Honours degree. By the way the third year (after the ATPL) can be taken part-time so if you are exceptionally lucky and do get a flying job straight after the ATPL you can still finish the degree as well.

Apologies for the long post but Piper Warrior Pilot's comments were a bit strong to let go without a response.