PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2010, 19:48
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stone69

I don’t remember having viewed the outlook from the pilot’s seat as being restricted.
After flying the Whitley for over a year, the height difference was the most noticeable aspect. I seem to remember that just before touch-down, as the nose moved up, I looked out the left to judge the height from the ground.
I have in the past year, sat in the re-constructed Halifax 111 at the RAF museum in Elvington, and every thing came back as if yesterday.
My first flight was one hour with a screened pilot who demonstrated the flying characteristics, including stalling, flying on three engines, then on two port engines, and a three engine landing. Then I had two hours circuits and bumps with a couple of three engine landings, before being sent off solo. The next lesson was one hour of night landings, then to Dusseldorf as second pilot.
The Halifax 1 & 11 had terrible rudder problems, and the torque from the Merlins accented this. With both ports stopped it was an awful strain, but could just be kept flying, - provided there was no other damage. fredjhh