PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - firemen
Thread: firemen
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2002, 09:33
Muppit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

If that discovery program is the same one I've seen, I think it's a bit out of date.

At Gatwick, the crews target is to reach any part of the airfield within 90 seconds of a call out. The same goes for Heathrow, which is why they've got two fire stations: The big one opposite the Kilos, and a smaller one down by the Hotels/Golfs.

As for ambulance cover, Gatwick introduced an emergency paramedic 4x4 a couple of years ago, called 'Solo', who can free range on the airport and is rarely idle. He's also supported by Sussex ambulance who have an extremely good call out time to the airport.

In LVP's, Gatwick AFS will contact the Ground controller who will give them a taxi route, and the switchable taxiway lighting system (the reds & greens) brought up on that route. ATC also have a ground movement radar and can pass traffic information to the crews if requested.

I've had cause to hit the big red button a number of times, and the crews are always there, suited up and water cannon ready whenever they're needed.

Muppit

Last edited by Muppit; 29th Aug 2002 at 10:23.