PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2010, 13:35
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't go that far BEagle - not everybody - me included has what might be called a well developed palate. For instance I absolutely detest wine, it all tastes the same (tannin) and gives me ferocious hangovers in the smallest quantities. If I were invited to such an evening and knew before hand that it was going to be hours of something undrinkable followed by a serious hangover, I would really have to think hard about whether to go. Surely not a particularly good excuse for being anti-social, but I think the hostess might be a little surprised if I spent the evening asking for neat vodka as an alternative to the dreaded grape juice!

In the interests of that old Noo Lab favourite social inclusivity, I would always have a few beers on standby, albeit decent beers, served in decent glasses. None of the usual muck you get from an off licence, but something seasonally appropriate from a niche brewer.

Surely that would be a better way than either putting off your prospective guests before they even arrive or making them feel uncomfortable. Unless of course, you are holding an At Home under duress and are keen to minimise the number of attendees and further reduce the time those brave enough to attend spend with you!

Last edited by Melchett01; 28th Dec 2010 at 13:46.