PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Bogie raises it's head yet again
Old 28th Dec 2010, 07:51
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dani
While I fully appreciate the discussion whether automatics are good or bad or both, and I can understand some people's concern about pilots loosing pilot's skills, I must say that this AD has nothing to do with it!
Thank you Dani, voice of reason at last. Loose Rivets, you have one too sir.

Loss or lack of manual skills is an issue, but Colgan will not be prevented by mandating 1500 hrs. Why not 1550? Recognizing approach to stall and proper stall recovery is mandatory task pre-solo, at 10 hrs total.

FTOs are historically called schools but they are quite far from it, normal businesses run for profit. Why fight the syndromes and not cure the diesease? Do teach pilots in traning and screen them properly? LH does it right, tight selection, stringent pass rules and 250 FOs are ready for the job in a novice position. Any airline could do the same, should they decide to do so.

Low hour RYR FO in Ciampino landed 737 uneventfully single-pilot, I applaud him/her. The pilot was trained for such task, and performed well. There's nothing heroic about it yet it speaks clearly about his training.

LH again, cross-wired sidestick, FO saves the day by using a learned technique.

Kos hard landing clearly uncovered discontinuity in follow-up on training progress. No amount hand flown of hours will substitute that. Yes, the trainee may be slow to acquire skill and need more hours to reach the target, but ultimately it is the pass-grade process which failed.

Prescribing 500 simulator landings will not cure that, faster learners will be unnecessarily tied to the box at immense cost and pilot who needs 600 of them will still be held short.

My 2c
FD (the un-real)

PS: As noted in the beginning loss of manual flying is an issue. I believe it is not the issue which bends metal. Let's read again on A340 in Toronto, AA in Jamaica, Garuda in Jogjakarta and Southwest in Midway. Or Little Rock, mother of all that (still) goes wrong. Drilling holes in the sky, even manual raw data NPAs in limiting conditions will not improve that. Sure it builds confidence but overconfidence is what kills people. Pilot that can professionally perform V1 cut and OEI landing as well as handle manual reversion is ready to fly the line, ready to learn the line. Provided that his previous training did not leave terra incognita elsewhere in the required knowledge.