PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the Bass Strait
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2010, 00:21
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
........................yeah I have a tip Girlie ....DON'T DO IT IN A S.E.

Although & you didn't hear this from me I have crossed the straight a few times in a SE but lets hope 'jaba' doesn't read this. That was back in the days when I was fearless, now there's just war stories to tell from the comfort of my old rocking chair

That aside as 'jaba-dabba-do' says take lots of wollies & PLAN with lots of escapes routes along the way. Tassie is a beautiful place, about 3 times a year!

You may or may-not be able to get access to a life raft but water down there even this time of year is bloody cold & you won't last long in it bobbing around like a cork in an ocean wearing only a life jacket.
I've mentioned this before but with private flying you don't 'have' to go if it looks sus weather wise, wise words ATC are a friendly bunch down at the apple Is so no probs there:-)

YFLI is a must stopover if going via the eastern route as 'jaba' mentioned off at Wilsons Prom or thereabouts & follow the furneaux group of Islands to YFLI then over to the N.E corner of the 2 headed land. Avoid the western route via YKII there's nothing to miss there:-)
Just be very careful the weather at YFLI can change very quickly.
If yr in to bush walking/mountain climbing yr heading in the right direction for that at YFLI.
Go to www.tasmaniatopten.com.au (or something like that) good info there about the Islands off Tassie.

Okay good luck enjoy the experience as yes lots of piccies please as we want proof you did it & survived

Wmk2