PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Bogie raises it's head yet again
Old 27th Dec 2010, 23:53
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull out the QRH on the A320 and you will find a table of power settings and attitudes for unreliable airspeed.

On my previous aircraft I had a good idea of these as I had to apply them myself every time I flew, now I need to refresh my memory as I just don't use them so often.

An advanced autopilot is a major bonus during an emergency as it reduces the workload of simply keeping the aircraft flying safely, enabling more attention to be devoted to dealing with the problem. These days airspace is more complicated and congested. Tolerences are more critical and setting up an approach much more involved.

In the 1960s the controller could probably find you a vacant block of airspace to play around in while you sorted out what was going wrong with your B707, followed by a radar vector straight on to the ILS.

These days you will need to maintain tolerances in a hold and sequence into a STAR, following speed and altitude constraints. Don't forget you still need to run the emergency checklists and procrdures as well.

I certainly wouldn't want to be operating early generation jets in modern airspace.